He finds her sitting at the lake's edge, on a perfectly shaped branch of a perfectly shaped tree. She is staring at the water, a small frown on her face. As he approaches, he watches as the branch adjusts, making space for a second person.
He sits.
She sighs. "It's not right. It's not working."
He waits.
"You know why." Her words are neither accusation nor demand, simply truth.
"I do."
She turns and looks at him with her wild fae eyes. "I gave them an opportunity to prove their worth. I gave them glory and reward. And yet, they do not believe. Is this some sort of mortal thing I don't understand?"
He chuckles. "Indeed, my love. Glory and reward is nice. Us mortals like it. But it does not create camaraderie. What you have made here - the arena, the competition - it creates borders, not unity. They are at odds with each other." He looks over the water for a while. "I think, although they all want to win, they feel that. They do not desire to be at odds. The thing they desire is connection. Belonging. They are mercenaries fighting for the entertainment of a mysterious lady. They do not belong."
She sighs. "There were centuries when we threw armies at each other and it made them believe. I thought that it was the glory of the fight. The victory and the striving for victory."
He shakes his head. "I am a warrior. But I do not fight because I enjoy the fight. I fight because I believe in the thing - the being - I am fighting for. I am not your champion for glory. I am your champion because I love you. And because I believe in what you represent."
She stares at him for some time. Then smiles, quick and bright. "I think I see. Very well. We shall pivot. We shall play this out until there is a victor, but after that we will try a different thing. I shall be... a collector. A collector of interesting trinkets and mysterious beasts. An eccentric faerie who wants only to gather many shiny things to her. We will make a home here." She gestures at her gradually expanding Realm. "They will live here, and they will create connections, and eventually, no doubt, the more intelligent among them will learn that what I was actually collecting was them."
"And then you will have to tell them." His voice is firm. "You cannot ask them to fight without knowing why they fight."
She nods. "Of course. We need much more information about what my dearest husband did to banish me before that though. I cannot leave here, but you can. I will need assistance. I will need... staff, I suppose."
He chuckles. "I am certain that Scrat will have suggestions."
Her smile is fond and indulgent. "His belief is strong."
"You saved him. That makes us believe."
Something in his voice makes her pause and turn. She is quiet for a moment. Then she turns back to the water. "Goblins are often misused. There will be others. Here they can be safe. Here we can give them work, and a home. In his faerie... it will only get worse for them."
"Them and all the so-called lesser fae." His voice his hard.
"None are lesser."
He nods.
"Very well then, my champion. I will let this contest run its course. In the meantime, we shall speak with Scrat and see if he knows of some others of his kind who can help us. And then, it may be time for me to call in some of the favours I have been hoarding."
She stands and takes his hand. They walk back towards the palace. Near to it there is now an arena, from which come faint sounds of combat practice. There is a breeze, cool against the summer heat. Where she steps, daisies appear from the grass. Behind her, the land begins to adjust, creating pathways, making spaces for homes to appear.
The Horde will be here soon. The Realm will need to be ready.
===
Art by Griffin Ess created after Scrat's first appearance in the Bellatrix Arena, way back in 2020.

He sits.
She sighs. "It's not right. It's not working."
He waits.
"You know why." Her words are neither accusation nor demand, simply truth.
"I do."
She turns and looks at him with her wild fae eyes. "I gave them an opportunity to prove their worth. I gave them glory and reward. And yet, they do not believe. Is this some sort of mortal thing I don't understand?"
He chuckles. "Indeed, my love. Glory and reward is nice. Us mortals like it. But it does not create camaraderie. What you have made here - the arena, the competition - it creates borders, not unity. They are at odds with each other." He looks over the water for a while. "I think, although they all want to win, they feel that. They do not desire to be at odds. The thing they desire is connection. Belonging. They are mercenaries fighting for the entertainment of a mysterious lady. They do not belong."
She sighs. "There were centuries when we threw armies at each other and it made them believe. I thought that it was the glory of the fight. The victory and the striving for victory."
He shakes his head. "I am a warrior. But I do not fight because I enjoy the fight. I fight because I believe in the thing - the being - I am fighting for. I am not your champion for glory. I am your champion because I love you. And because I believe in what you represent."
She stares at him for some time. Then smiles, quick and bright. "I think I see. Very well. We shall pivot. We shall play this out until there is a victor, but after that we will try a different thing. I shall be... a collector. A collector of interesting trinkets and mysterious beasts. An eccentric faerie who wants only to gather many shiny things to her. We will make a home here." She gestures at her gradually expanding Realm. "They will live here, and they will create connections, and eventually, no doubt, the more intelligent among them will learn that what I was actually collecting was them."
"And then you will have to tell them." His voice is firm. "You cannot ask them to fight without knowing why they fight."
She nods. "Of course. We need much more information about what my dearest husband did to banish me before that though. I cannot leave here, but you can. I will need assistance. I will need... staff, I suppose."
He chuckles. "I am certain that Scrat will have suggestions."
Her smile is fond and indulgent. "His belief is strong."
"You saved him. That makes us believe."
Something in his voice makes her pause and turn. She is quiet for a moment. Then she turns back to the water. "Goblins are often misused. There will be others. Here they can be safe. Here we can give them work, and a home. In his faerie... it will only get worse for them."
"Them and all the so-called lesser fae." His voice his hard.
"None are lesser."
He nods.
"Very well then, my champion. I will let this contest run its course. In the meantime, we shall speak with Scrat and see if he knows of some others of his kind who can help us. And then, it may be time for me to call in some of the favours I have been hoarding."
She stands and takes his hand. They walk back towards the palace. Near to it there is now an arena, from which come faint sounds of combat practice. There is a breeze, cool against the summer heat. Where she steps, daisies appear from the grass. Behind her, the land begins to adjust, creating pathways, making spaces for homes to appear.
The Horde will be here soon. The Realm will need to be ready.
===
Art by Griffin Ess created after Scrat's first appearance in the Bellatrix Arena, way back in 2020.

no subject
Date: 2026-09-16 10:55 pm (UTC)And I love her solution: “Fine, I shall become an eccentric faerie collector of shiny things!” 😂 Except, of course, the shiny things she’s secretly collecting are people and giving them somewhere to belong. The moment she says “None are lesser” really summed up what she wants her Realm to become. Also, after seeing Scrat’s artwork on the last page, I completely understand why she’s keeping him around. 😂 He looks like an absolute menace, and I mean that affectionately!
no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 12:37 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 02:30 am (UTC)I thought exactly the same thing while reading. (grin)
Dan
no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 04:27 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 03:51 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 06:34 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 02:38 am (UTC)This was great. Her champion loves her, but he also won't hesitate to tell her what's right/what she must do.
Dan
no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 04:43 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-18 04:51 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 03:16 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 11:55 pm (UTC)Good to see the lore back, as well as you! :)
no subject
Date: 2026-09-18 05:31 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 08:23 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 08:53 am (UTC)I tried leaving this comment a few times. Hopefully it works this time.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 01:17 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 04:32 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 12:42 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 01:47 am (UTC)But yes, while some people jump in for love of the fight, most need the reason for the fight to matter to them.
I liked the description of how the land changed behind her path in the wake of her magic.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-23 06:43 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-23 07:43 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-24 02:53 am (UTC)Must know more about her ex. 😊
Good read!
no subject
Date: 2026-09-24 12:07 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-24 10:43 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-24 10:54 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-25 03:21 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 02:22 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 08:51 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-27 03:44 am (UTC)